Darkness – Color Connotations (3.2)
Welcome back to our series exploring the value of darkness in lighting design. Today, we identify the importance of color connotations in our built environment.
MEANING OF BLACK: DARKNESS
How does the color black affect us physically and mentally?
– Feeling inconspicuous
– A restful emptiness
– Mysterious evoking a sense of potential and possibility
MEANING OF GRAY: SHADOW
How does the color gray affect us physically and mentally?
EIGENGRAU (GERMAN: INTRINSIC GRAY)
– The color seen by the eye in perfect darkness
– Eigengrau is perceived as lighter than a black object in normal
– Lighting conditions, because contrast is more important to the
– Visual system than absolute brightness
MEANING OF WHITE : LIGHT
How does the color white affect us mentally and physically?
– Aids mental clarity
– Encourages us to clear clutter or obstacles
– Evokes purification of thoughts or actions
– Enables fresh beginnings